Scrotal ultrasound is an imaging test. Ultrasound uses sound waves to form pictures of your organs that appear on a screen. Examination of the scrotum is typically done because of pain symptoms or a lump. This test involves no radiation and is harmless.
Before Your Test
There are no special preparations for this test.
Let the Sonographer know if you've had:
- An ultrasound exam of this area before
- Any prior surgery in this area
You may be asked questions about your health (such as):
- Why are you having an ultrasound?
- If you are having pain, how long has it been occurring?
- If you feel a lump, how long have you noticed it, and is it growing?
During Your Test
You will lie on your back. Non-greasy gel will be applied to the scrotum. There will be no pain or other sensation related to the ultrasound beam.
Approximate Exam Time
The exam will take approximately 30 minutes
After Your Test
Before leaving, you may need to wait briefly while the images are being reviewed. You can get back to your normal routine right after the test. Your doctor will let you know when the results are ready.